Festung Hohensalzburg das Wahrzeichen der Stadt Salzburg

Hohensalzburg Fortress, built in 1077 by Archbishop Gebhard, considerably enlarged by Archbishop Leonhard von Keutschach (1495-1519), is largest, fully-preserved fortress in central Europe. The Castle of the Teutonic Order in Malbork (Poland) is the largest castle in the world but only by surface area. Hohensalzburg Castle in Austria is situated at an altitude of 506 m.
The more than 900-year-old citadel dates back to the investiture controversy between emperor and pope over the right to appoint the bishop. As a faithful servant of the pope, Archbishop Gebhart von Salzburg had the strongholds of Hohensalzburg, Hohenwerfen and Friesach built on his sovereign territory in 1077. Expansion of Gebhart's fortifications were temporarily completed under Konrad I (1160 - 1147). 
Hohensalzburg Fortress
During the 15th and 16th centuries, during the turmoil of the so-called Hungarian War and the Peasants' War in which the province of Salzburg was involved, the archbishops took refuge behind the battlements of the fortress. It was during this period that the main building was enlarged and the arsenal and the granary erected. Archbishop Leonhard von Keutschach (1495 - 1519) enlarged the fortress and its exterior has remained substantially unaltered since then. 
Hohensalzburg Fortress
The fortress' interior was richly decorated: intricate Gothic wood-carvings and ornamental paintings decorate the Golden Hall and the Golden Chamber. 58 insignia and coats of arms with the beetroot are commemorative of Leonhard von Keutschach. The fortress' symbol, the lion, holds the beetroot in its paws. One of the last extensive modifications was the addition of the great Kuenberg bastion.
Hohensalzburg Fortress
During its long history the Hohensalzburg Fortress has always remained unconquered by enemy troops.
Source i.a. www.salzburg.info

Gustav Klimt and Unterach am Attersee

Unterach is a village in the Austria state of Upper Austria on the southern shore of lake Attersee in the centre of the Salzkammergut region.
Klimt-Bust in Unterach by Ukrainian artist Valentin Znoba 
Gustav Klimt and Unterach am Attersee
"...Only a person who is a friend of solitude and knows how to do without society can live here in contentment...", is how the news paper report described Unterach in 1812. The situation was to change considerably around 1840 when the local inkeeper Anton Hollweger developed tourism on the Attersee. At that time travelers still mostly arrived at the lake through Weissenbach valley from Bad Ischl and would travel by ferry across the lake to Unterach. In the years that followed , numerous villas were built and Unterach became a place where personalities from art, literature and science congregated.
Attersee Lake, marina in Uterach
The painter Gustav Klimt (1862-1918) visited Unterach especially during his last summers at the lake, when he stayed at Weissenbach am Attersee, as is documented by numerous postcards.
Church in Unterach on the Attersee by Gustav Klimt
He immortalized the village in his famous views of houses, painted from the opposite side of the lake with the help of a telescope. Perhaps a summer trip to Lake Guarda in 1913 inspired him to compose similar motifs on the Attersee. 

The world's first bronze of the master created by the sculptor Valentin Znoba (1929-2006)is displayed on Gustav Klimt - Platz in Unterach.
Houses in Unterach on Lake Attersee by Gustav Klimt

The  name of Untarach derives from the Austro-Bavarian Untr|aha ~ between|waters based on the geographical location on the shore of lake Mondsee and lake Attersee.


Coat of arms: In gold a blue diagonal bar, within is a silver fish, complemented by a red heart. Town colours: blue-yellow-red.

Unterach am Attersee:
Elevation 477 m
Population ca 1.500

Judith's motif by Klimt in the window in Unterach
Source: The information board, Klimt-Platz in Unterach

Schloss Elmau, der G7-Gipfel in Bayern nähe der Tiroler Grenze

Schloss Elmau is a luxury a five star hotel at the foot of the Wetterstein mountains, in a nature reserve near the village of Klais lying between Garmisch and Mittenwald in Bavaria, Germany near the Austrian Province of Tyrol border.
Schloss Elmau
Castle Elmau currently represents the Bavarian luxury hotel. It is located in a mountain valley between Garmisch-Parkenkirhen and Mittenwald at the foot of the Wetterstein, in the village of Klais, Bavaria. The first mention of the area dates back to 1542 year. Here was located the saw and the farm. Philosopher and theologian, professor Johann Muller bought the estate and the surrounding area before the First World War. Construction of the castle ended in 1916. At the castle Mueller was created "moral health resor", as a place for artists, rather than as a schloss (palace). In August 2005, the castle was badly damaged by fire.  Now Castle - Hotel 5* Elmau is among The Leading Hotels of the World.
Schloss Elmau in Bavaria
Schloss Elmau in Bawaria near the Austrian  Province of Tyrol border will be the site of the 41st G7 summit June 7-8 2015.
Fot. Elisabeth Fazel.

Burg Lichtenwerth - Mittelalterliches Festung in Tirol

In the Austrian district of Kufstein in Land Tirol is a municipality Munster. Between Munster and Brihlenom located building called "Castle of Light" - germ. Burg Lichtenwerth. The first mention of this palace date back to 1212 and 1249 years.
The Lichtenwerth castle is a rectangular fortress, which includes an external lock with outbuildings. To the east is a three-storey palace, which was replaced in the XVIII century. Another tower was erected in the XVII century. It includes a kitchen with the original equipment. Even in the fortress existed separate baroque castle, a chapel which was decorated in 1776 with stucco rococo. 
Lichtenwerth Castle since 1879 is owned by Inama- Sternegg family and thus they it is closed to the public.
Burg Lichtenwerth is situated at an altitude of 366 m.

Source i.a.: www.pointerst.com

Schloss Hüttenstein im österreichischen Bundesland Salzburg

The castle Schloss Hüttenstein  is situated between the Mondsee and Wolfgangsee lakes in the municipality of St. Gilgen (village Winkl), Salzburg state, Austria.
The castle was built in 1329 by Archbishop of Salzburg Frederick III  von Leibnitz. By the end of the 16th century the castle fell into disrepair. The castle Hüttenstein was rebuilt in neo-Gothic style in the middle of 19th century.
Castle Hüttenstein
Today, this historic building is privately owned and cannot be visited.

"Mozartdorf" St. Gilgen am Wolfgangsee

Sankt Gilgen is a picturesque village by the Wolfgangsee in the Austrian state of Salzburg, in the "Salzkammergut" region. The village is a well-known travel destination.
In the year 1376 Sankt Gilgen was first mentioned in documents. 1873 the shipping on the Wolfgangsee started and so did the tourism too. Also the construction of the Salzkammergut-Lokalbahn in the year 1893 was a reason for the upcoming tourism. Many rich Viennese had their summer villas there such as the surgeon and a talented amateur pianist and violinist Theodor Billroth.
The local parish church is dedicated to Saint Aegidius (Latin), in English Saint Giles, which is reflected in the name of the town, Sankt Gilgen.
Since 2005 St. Gilgen was promoted as the "Mozart Village". Although Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart never visited St. Gilgen. But his grandfather worked in the town, Anna Maria Walburga Pertl his mother was born in St. Gilgen, and his sister Nannerl moved there after her marriage. The village now boasts a first-class international school, the St. Gilgen International School. StGIS was founded in 2008 and is a member of the Council of International Schools, European Council of International Schools and Swiss Group of International Schools and is a registered Cambridge International Centre.
St. Gilgen:
Elevation 545 m asl
Population ca 4.000
Photos: Elisabeth Fazel
Source: Wiki

Schlosshotel Fuschl - Legenden - Schätze - Luxus - Natur Pur und berühmte Personen der Geschichte

Hotel Schloss Fuschl is located on the banks of a beautiful and picturesque lake about a 30 minute drive from Salzburg, Austria, Lake Fuschl. The hotel/castle has a very interesting history going back hundreds of years as well as during World War 2.
Schloss Fuschl tower
Built as a hunting lodge for the Archbishops of Salzburg in 1450. Prince Archbishop Paris Count Lodron as a hunting castle - under whose reign Schloss Fuschl saw the greatest glory in its history. The property enjoyed nearly 400 years of aristocratic fun until the Habsburgs dissolved the clerical principality of Salzburg. In 1833 the castle passed to the Imperial government, which let it fall into ruins.
Schlosshotel Fuschl. Waldhaus (L) and Schloss Ladl - Sissi Museum (R)
In 1938 the Nazis, who had already set up headquarters in Klessheim Palace in Salzburg, seized Schloss Fuschl, converting it into a residence for German foreign minister Joachim von Ribbentrop. Since Hitler's residence was near the castle, it regularly held meetings of high officials of the III Reich. 
Schloss Fuschl. Hunter house and castle tower.
After the war, a widespread rumor claimed that crates of gold were hidden in the bottom of the lake. Despite special instruments combing the lake bottom, nothing has ever been found.
Lake Fuschl into the Alps
In 1957, the building appeared in the movie "Sissi" about 
Empress of Austria and Queen of Hungary as a Elisabeth of Austria. For Sissi fans there is a little museum.
Schloss Fuschl. Sculpture alley.
From 1958 to 1974 the Schloss Fuschl belenged to Carl Adolf Vogel and his wife, actress Winnie Markus. They decided open a hotel. During this time Schloss Fuschl (as a first class hotel) visited the distinguished guests, as:
-Jiang Zemin who served as General Secretary of the Communist Party of China and as President of the People's Republic of China from 1993 to 2003.
-Jawaharlal Nehru , who was the first Prime Minister of India.
-Nikita Khrushchev, who was a Russian politician who led the Soviet Union during part of the Cold War.
-Anwar as-Sadat, who was the third President of Egypt.
-Sirkit  the current Queen of Thailand.
In 1974, the castle passed into the possession of Max Grundig and the Max Grundig Family Foundation (MGS).
Currently, the owner of the luxury five star Hotel SPA Schloss Fuschl is a Schörghuber Unternehmensgruppe.
Schloss-Hotel Fuschl interior
Schloss-Hotel Fuschl. Memorabilia of Empress Elisabeth of Austria (Sissi) and Emperor Franz Joseph.
Photos: Elisabeth Fazel